- Federal agencies are required by statute to purchase products as designated or specified under this program
Where to Buy
Legal Requirements Lists federal requirements related to the purchase of this item, including applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements
Contributes to meeting The Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings
See also Office Furniture Components product for recommended recycled content levels for various furniture components.
Beginning in December 12, 2017, composite wood products must meet Environmental Protection Agency limits on emissions of formaldehyde. Composite wood product means hardwood plywood made with a veneer or composite core, medium-density fiberboard, and particleboard.
Furniture certified to the BIFMA standard may be available from contractors on the following GSA Multiple Award Schedule:
- Schedule 71 All SINS
Potential LEED Contributions
This product may contribute* toward points in multiple LEED v4 rating systems, including areas required for LEED v4 building certification. Primarily, the credits will apply in the Building Design and Construction (BD+C) and Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M) categories. This includes the specialty areas of: New Construction and Major Renovation, Existing Buildings, Core & Shell, Schools, Retail, Data Centers, Warehouse and Distribution Centers, Hospitality, and Healthcare. Specific credits are:
- Indoor Environmental Quality - Low-Emitting Materials
- Materials & Resources - Building Product Disclosure & Optimization
- Environmental Product Declarations
- Sourcing of Raw Materials
- Material Ingredients
* It is important to note that no products, individually or collectively, can guarantee a specific number of points for LEED Category credit. Each credit will need to be matched to the product by a certified professional.