- Federal agencies are required by statute to purchase products as designated or specified under this program
Where to Buy
Legal Requirements Lists federal requirements related to the purchase of this item, including applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements
Contributes to meeting The Guiding Principles for High Performance and Sustainable Buildings
According to BioPreferred, wood and concrete stains are designed to be applied as a finish for concrete and wood surfaces and that contain dyes or pigments to change the color without concealing the grain pattern or surface texture.
BioPreferred maintains an electronic product catalog listing products that either 1. are eligible for preferred federal procurement, or 2. have earned the USDA Certified Biobased Product Label.
For products such as wood and concrete stains, the applicable Guiding Principle for High Performance and Sustainable Buildings depends on what characteristics are included in the product. If it has biobased content it would be GP 5, if it is low-emitting it would be GP 4, if it's both, it would be included in both. "Low emitting" would be any product that has a low emissions or low VOC standard.
Potential LEED Contributions
This product may contribute* toward points in multiple LEED v4 rating systems, including areas required for LEED v4 building certification. Primarily, the credits will apply in the Building Design and Construction (BD+C) and Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M) categories. This includes the specialty areas of: New Construction and Major Renovation, Existing Buildings, Core & Shell, Schools, Retail, Data Centers, Warehouse and Distribution Centers, Hospitality, and Healthcare. Specific credits are:
- Indoor Environmental Quality - Low-Emitting Materials
- Materials & Resources - Building Product Disclosure & Optimization
- Environmental Product Declarations
- Sourcing of Raw Materials
- Material Ingredients
* It is important to note that no products, individually or collectively, can guarantee a specific number of points for LEED Category credit. Each credit will need to be matched to the product by a certified professional.