SFTool – What do you need to do?
Welcome to the Sustainable Facilities Tool! Whether you’re a facility manager, purchasing agent, designer, tenant, or just curious, you’re here because you care about efficient, healthy buildings and environmentally-responsible purchasing. SFTool prepares you to take action.
Tools to help with everyday tasks
Click through Executive Orders annotated with strategies, definitions, and resources.
Ensure that your new construction and major renovations comply with the six federal Guiding Principles
Explore how the Guiding Principles relate to health and wellness guidelines, standards, and building rating systems.
Discover potential high-performance improvements based on your building’s size and climate zone.
Learn about submetering techniques and benefits by system, marking the benefits you’ve already attained and exporting your customized list
Compare potential materials on IEQ, resource use, and life cycle costs.
Identify federal green purchasing requirements for products and services
Search brands and products that comply with federal sustainability requirements
Explore Federal government tools and resources for cost-effective and sustainable acquisition across the procurement lifecycle.
Assess your facility operations knowledge, identify areas for training, and locate free resources.
A few other things you can do here:
- Learn – Got a topic on your mind? Read descriptions, tips, and case studies about everything from water efficiency to plug load reduction. Click through annotated legislation and understand the impact of policy on sustainability.
- Plan – Starting a project? Get strategies for building green or turning an existing space into a healthier environment. Try approaches that look at material lifecycles, help your building use clean energy or establish a solid waste reduction plan. Make sure you’re preparing for the long term impacts of climate change.
- Explore – Roam around our virtual building to compare materials and design strategies. Understand the interactions between building systems and the people they serve. See how your role helps a team reduce costs and increase environmental sustainability.
- Procure – The products we consume have a tremendous impact on long-term costs and natural resources. Find out what sustainability criteria to seek across hundreds of product categories. Buy products with recycled content and services with environmental contract requirements.
- Assess - How much do you already know? Use Federal Facilities Skills Assessment Tool (FEDSAT) to assess your knowledge, identify areas where you might need additional training, and locate free resources to fill the gaps. Claim 1 hour of continuing education credit for completing the assessment.
- Share – Have a story to tell? Send us your case studies and read about others’ sustainability projects. Interact with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Building your own app? Get SFTool content sent directly via our API.
Why did we build the SFTool?
The General Services Administration is tasked with putting our nation’s public servants into efficient, healthy buildings and buying goods and services that provide maximum value to the taxpayer. With each high-performance building, waste and utility costs drop, people breathe better air and we conserve resources for future generations. Helping the Federal Government make sustainable decisions and acheive high-performance is our mission, but we built SFTool to inspire and prepare everyone to take action. Learn more about GSA’s Office of Federal High-Performance Buildings.
A link or mention anywhere on SFTool is not an endorsement of the views, products, or services provided by the linked resource.