Facility Manager User Guide
|I. Building & Grounds Management||II. Space Management||III. Procurement Management|
"As a Facility Manager, I am responsible for increasing my building’s energy efficiency and optimizing the use of natural resources in my building."
Protecting and optimizing assets
- Explore possible sustainable building systems upgrades, including the latest technologies
- Identify potential building system impacts on resources, finance, humans, and operations and maintenance
- View opportunities to bundle system improvements to improve efficiency
- Aim to reach NetZero Energy by balancing energy efficiency efforts with renewable energy generation
- Learn how to develop climate adaptation plans for your building
Maintaining building systems and exterior surroundings
- Consider Operations & Maintenance (O&M) of whole building systems
- Identify green products in the Green Procurement Compilation (GPC), including cleaning and landscaping supplies
- Search for green products by standards & labels
- Buy green products through GSA Schedules
- Explore resources for the green procurement of services, such as previous solicitations and potential clauses
- Evaluate your skills and identify training opportunities with FEDSAT
"As a Facility Manager, I can increase the satisfaction of my building occupants and increase worker productivity by including thoughtful indoor environmental quality (IEQ) details in the design and operation of a space."
Ensuring a suitable working environment for employees and activities
- View a list of sustainable strategies for several types of projects
- Compare materials in multiple interior office spaces for IEQ attributes
- View design guidance for selected materials/systems
- Reference relevant federal requirements for selected materials/systems, such as Executive Orders and GSA Guiding Principles
"As a Facility Manager, I should follow protocols that encourage the selection of sustainably grown, harvested, produced, and transported products and materials. I should also be vigilant about reducing waste, re-using items, and recycling materials at the end of their useful life."
Selection of carpet, paint, office furniture, etc
- View best practices for Materials, Furniture, and Furnishings Replacement
- Compare potential materials for each office space by environmental criteria
- Buy sustainable products through GSA Schedules
- Develop a Solid Waste Management plan to reduce, reuse, and recycle
Managing budget by selecting cost effective items that facilitates the working environment
Break down the silos!
As a Facility Manager, I don’t live or work in a bubble.
To deliver a successful project, I regularly work with a variety of professionals who would benefit from the value of the SFTool.
|Decision Makers||Maintenance Personnel|
|Specialized Consultants||Interior Designers|
Learn more about the Integrative Design Process
Participate in the SFTool community below!