Window frames are one component of a window assembly. In naturally ventilated buildings window frames allow the window to be opened to bring in fresh air and closed tight to prevent intrusion. Aluminum frames are strong, less prone to warping, but typically are less energy efficient since aluminum is a good conductor of heat. Look for thermally improved aluminum window frames.
- Use deionized water to clean windows and frame when possible.
- Use cleaning chemicals and solutions that are Green Seal certified
- Dust with micro fiber cloth regularly
End of Life Tips
- Usually reused by future occupants. If frame needs to be replaced, consider recycling any metal components.
- Visit Earth911.com to determine the proper disposal options.
For alignment with LEED Standards
Regional Materials: For credit achievement calculation, products sourced (extracted, manufactured, purchased) within 100 miles (160 km) of the project site are valued at 200% of their base contributing cost.
- BD+C and ID+C MR: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Sourcing of Raw Materials and Material Ingredients
- O+M MR: Purchasing - Facility Maintenance and Renovation
Energy: Comply with ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2010.
- BD+C EA: Minimum Energy Performance