Lighting and Ceiling Fans
Commercial and residential lighting products, such as fixtures and bulbs, and ceiling fans. Products in this category may also apply to the acquisition of construction and facilities operations & maintenance services.
References and Guidance
Interested in learning more about integrative design and lighting system impacts on human behavior, resources, finances, and O&M? Check out the SFTool Lighting Systems module.
Before buying new products, be sure to consider excess personal property from other federal agencies. It's not just the mandatory first source of supply, it's sustainable! Visit GSAXcess® to search the federal government’s available excess personal property for transfer.
To promote fuel efficiency and reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution, consider using a SmartWay Transport Partner for shipment of your products.
The new Energy Star standard v2 excludes:
- Commercial outdoor lighting (e.g. street and area, wall packs, canopy)
- High or low bay luminaires,
- Recessed troffers and other linear fluorescent fixtures,
- Luminaire types typically employed for general office illumination such as linear pendants and panel lighting HID sources or their SSL replacements,
- Socket adapters or converters, and
- LED lamps intended to replace linear fluorescent, pin-based compact fluorescent or high-intensity discharge lamps.
Note that the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) provides specifications for several of these lighting types.
Note that compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) ballasted solid state lighting (SSL) retrofit kits are not covered by Energy Star v1.2. SSL retrofit kits that bypass the existing CFL ballast also are not covered by Energy Star v1.2 (nor are they covered by Energy Star v2).