- Federal agencies are required to purchase products as designated or specified under this program
Where to Buy
Legal Requirements Lists federal requirements related to the purchase of this item, including applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements
Life Cycle Cost Savings
For most applications, energy-efficient clothes washers have the lowest life-cycle cost. For example, EPA has estimated that an Energy Star-qualified washer can save a typical user $535 in energy costs over the life of the unit, while avoiding 437 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions each year. EPA further estimates that clothes washers meeting the version 8 standard will use, on average, approximately 28% less energy and 33% less water than required by minimum efficiency standards effective in 2018.
An efficient product is cost effective when the energy costs saved over the life of the product exceed the additional upfront cost (if any) of the more efficient model. Energy Star considers both upfront costs and lifetime energy cost savings when setting required efficiency levels. Federal purchasers can assume that Energy Star-qualified products are life-cycle cost effective. On its Purchasing & Procurement page, Energy Star offers MS-Excel-based calculators to estimate how much money and energy you can save purchasing ENERGY STAR clothes washers.
Contributes to meeting The Guiding Principles for High Performance and Sustainable Buildings
The effective date for the Version 8.0 ENERGY STAR Clothes Washer Specification is February 5, 2018. The specification includes Residential Clothes Washer and Commercial Clothes Washer as specified within the ENERGY STAR certification.
Excluded Products: The following products are not eligible for ENERGY STAR certification:
- Products with a primary clothes washer drum volume of less than 1.6 cubic feet
- Products configured in any way other than a front- or top-loading design
- Combination All-in-One Washer-Dryers
- Residential Clothes Washers with Heated Drying Functionality
- Commercial Clothes Washers with a clothes container volume larger than 8.0 cubic feet
- Commercial Clothes Washer with top-loading design