Where to Buy
|Polyester Carpet Face Fiber||
|Woven, Tufted, or Knitted Fiber and a Backing System|
Legal Requirements Lists federal requirements related to the purchase of this item, including applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements
Life Cycle Cost Savings
To calculate life cycle cost savings, explore these tools:
- NIST’s BEES Online v2.0 offers detailed environmental lifecycle analyses. Life cycle costing is available as an option. It is recommended that users have some experience with life cycle analysis in order to answer the tool’s questions.
Contributes to meeting The Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings
According to BioPreferred, carpet is as a floor covering composed of woven, tufted, or knitted fiber and a backing system. BioPreferred maintains an electronic product catalog listing products that either 1. are eligible for preferred federal procurement, or 2. have earned the USDA Certified Biobased Product Label.>
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Recommended Specifications, Standards, and Ecolabels
Executive Order (EO) 14057, Catalyzing Clean Energy Industries and Jobs Through Federal Sustainability, (08 DEC 2021), requires federal agencies to purchase sustainable products and services identified or recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to the maximum extent practicable.
Carpet that meets the NSF 140 standard may be available from contractors on the following GSA Multiple Award Schedules:
- Schedule 72 SINs 31 301, 31 303, 31 304, 31 305, 31 501 and 31 601.
- Schedule 78 SIN 192 09
Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings
For materials such as carpet, the applicable Guiding Principle for High Performance and Sustainable Buildings depends on what characteristics are included in the carpet. If it has recycled or biobased content it would be GP 5, if it is low-emitting it would be GP 4, if it's both, it would be included in both. "Low emitting" would be any product that has a low emissions or low VOC standard.
Potential LEED Contributions
This product may contribute* toward points in multiple LEED v4 rating systems, including areas required for LEED v4 building certification. Primarily, the credits will apply in the Building Design and Construction (BD+C) and Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M) categories. This includes the specialty areas of: New Construction and Major Renovation, Existing Buildings, Core & Shell, Schools, Retail, Data Centers, Warehouse and Distribution Centers, Hospitality, and Healthcare. Specific credits are:
- Indoor Environmental Quality - Low-Emitting Materials
- Materials & Resources - Building Product Disclosure & Optimization
- Environmental Product Declarations
- Sourcing of Raw Materials
- Material Ingredients
* It is important to note that no products, individually or collectively, can guarantee a specific number of points for LEED Category credit. Each credit will need to be matched to the product by a certified professional.