FMI Courses Reviewed and Public Comment
All feedback on FMI documents and notices should be sent via email to AskFMI@gsa.gov. Comments through other avenues will not be accepted. Once comments are collected, they will be posted publicly alongside the document.
FBPTA Qualifications - Public Comment
Each section contains a link to FMI's scoring sheet and discussion threads to capture comment on the associated scoring. To view results scroll down to the training provider you wish to review and select that section for access to the scoring sheet file and comment section. You may send comments to Askfmi@gsa.gov. Comments through other avenues will not be accepted. GSA does not seek comments related to the quality of the courses, that feedback is gathered from the federal agencies which identify the courses as a priority and end-user comments received through the Core Competency Web Tool. Comments should only relate to the color coded alignment of the training resource within the 2014 updated FBPTA core competencies. GSA will log and respond to all comments which might materially change our review i.e. the information is new or contradicts information provided by the resource provider. Note: In many cases, partial alignment of a performance will be interpreted as sufficient for specific personnel. Initial proposals for the courses were provided by course providers. Only competencies and related performances in which credit was sought were reviewed. FMI's assessment of proposed credit sought is located in the column titled "Based on technical review of learning objectives and skills, does this resource map to the performance criteria?" Color code applies as the following. 1. Green - the course aligns completely with the performance referenced 2. Yellow - the course is partially aligned as described in the comment 3. Red - the course does not align with the performance referenced.
- ASHRAE Certifications: ASHRAE certification programs are developed by industry practitioners who understand the knowledge and experience that are expected for superior building design and system operation Assure employers and clients of subject mastery Serve as a springboard for continued professional development Offer an easy-to-apply process.
- Building Operators Certification: Building Operators Certification trains facilities personnel in the interdependent and complex nature of building systems, HVAC, electric, lighting and more, with a broad view of understanding promoting energy efficient operations outcomes. The BOC certificate aligns with Facility Management, Operations, Energy Management and other various roles/performances. Public comment will begin upon post date and run for two calendar weeks.
- BOMI Courses and Designations: BOMI provides a number of courses which contribute toward the Facility Management Administrator and Real Property Administrator designations. Courses presented cover both a breadth of topics (i.e. Design, Operation, and Maintenance of Building Systems and Fundamentals of Real Property Administration) and individual topics at a greater depth (i.e. Refrigeration and Environmental Health and Safety). Designations are earned when required courses and professional experience are completed and documented.
- Defense Acquisition University - FAC 301: DAU's FAC-E certification provides practitioner level training in requirements development and program management for large facility acquisitions.
- Department of State Foreign Service Institute: The Institute's programs include training for the professional development of Foreign Service administrative, consular, economic/commercial, political, and public diplomacy officers; for specialists in the fields of information management, office management, security, and medical practitioners and nurses; for Foreign Service Nationals who work at U.S. posts around the world; and for Civil Service employees of the State Department and other agencies. Ranging in length from one day to two years, courses are designed to promote successful performance in each professional assignment, to ease the adjustment to other countries and cultures, and to enhance the leadership and management capabilities of the U.S. foreign affairs community.
- Enterprise Training Solutions Courses: Efficiently and cost effectively support training called for under FBPTA with an on-line library of over 800 eLearning courses. Users have access to all courses in the library giving them the flexibility to pick and choose training that's meaningful to them, their facility and management team.
- Federal Energy Management Program Courses: These courses, developed on behalf of the Federal Energy Management Program, are provided free of charge to all both in and out of the federal government. The courses are accredited under IACET and are accepted for continuous education credit by AIA and GBCI. The FMI proposes to accept them as providing foundational knowledge or general awareness of FBPTA requirements wherever alignment is noted. Advanced training will be required for career advancement.
- FM 360: The road to better facility management. Maintenance Management Systems - Selling, Implementing, and Utilizing a MMS
- GSA - Shave Energy: The Shave Energy program was developed by GSA for training of its property managers. The course teaches attendees how to identify and address opportunities to improve building operations and to capture low and no-cost energy savings in their facilities.
- IFMA Courses, Certificates, and Certifications: The International Facility Management Association provides a number of individual courses, certificates and certifications aimed primarily at the Facility Management role. This section seeks comments on the courses leading to the Facility Management Professional (FMP), Essentials of FM-OM Course, Sustainable Facilities Professional (SFP) and Certified Facility Manager (CFM) credentials. Note that there are four courses aligned with the Facility Management Professional (FMP). Once these courses have been successfully completed an individual gains the FMP credential. The essentials of FM-OM is considered an introductory course.
- National Institute for Building Sciences, Whole Building Design Guide (NIBS WBDG): NIBS WBDG courses align with Facility Management, Operations, Energy Management and other various roles/performances. Public comment for these courses will run for one calendar week starting upon post date.
- Pacific Northwest National Labs (PNNL) Building Re-Tuning: Pacific Northwest National Labs Building Re-Tuning course, designed for Buildings with Building Automated Systems, aligns with Facility Management, Operations, Energy Management and other various roles/performances.
- Penn State Facilities Engineering Institute: PSFEI provides facility engineering services to eleven Pennsylvania state agencies and the federal government.
- ProFM: ProFM is the result of independent FM organizations and individuals coming together to elevate the facility management profession and advance the careers of facility professionals. They envision, create, and deliver ProFM, the global standard for facility professionals.
- USGBC Credentials: A LEED professional credential signiﬁes that you’re a leader in the ﬁeld and an active participant in the green building movement. With new jobs specifying the need for green building expertise, the LEED professional credential shows a clear commitment to your professional growth, while underscoring your value to LEED project teams and sustainability-focused organizations.
2015 FBPTA Core Competencies & Program UpdatePosted: 01/20/2016 - 11:25
To develop the 2015 Update, the Facilities Management Institute (FMI) engaged representatives of federal agencies, cross-governmental organizations including the Federal Real Property Council and the National Institute of Building Sciences, and a number of industry-based credentialing organizations. The focus of this Update was to expand on the number and breadth of coverage of training and other qualifications related to building operations and energy management. In the process of doing so, FMI also identified opportunities to simplify the FBPTA competency model and address new competencies related to cybersecurity and data acquisition and validation for the Federal Real Property Profile (FRPP).
- Federal Buildings Personnel Training Act - 2015 Update - Final.doc
- Core Competencies and Recommended Curriculum - 2015 Update - Final.xlsx
2014 FBPTA Core Competencies & Program UpdatePosted: 12/15/2014 - 16:37
The 2014 Update streamlines the FBPTA Core Competencies and expands the recommended curriculum. It will enable FMI to simplify compliance and place greater emphasis on professional development. Please find the link to 2014 FBPTA Core Competencies and Program Update. (link removed)
2013 FBPTA Core CompetenciesPosted: 11/25/2013 - 10:16
This file contains a .pdf version of the 2013 Update of the FBPTA Core Competencies only. This abridged version of the Competency Model is provided for easier explanation of the knowledge, skills and abilities required of personnel impacted by the FBPTA.Posted: 01/07/2014 - 07:18
Attached are the log of comments received and responses given by GSA on the 2013 Annual Update.
FMI - Community of Practice SuggestionsPosted: 07/09/2013 - 10:04
The Facility Management Institute is a platform for the exchange of information and best practices between practitioners and subject matter experts. To that end, FMI will establish a Community of Practice to meet regularly, present information on topics of critical interest, and allow interaction between members of the community. Initial topics inspired by the set of "Federal References" required of Facility Managers by the Federal Buildings Personnel Training Act of 2010 are listed below. FMI is seeking suggestions for topics to fill out its schedule, please provide your suggestions in the discussion thread below.
- An overview of Federal laws, regulations, policy and goals for energy and water conservation - Nicolas Baker, DOE FEMP
- An introduction to the Sustainable Facilities Tool - Michael Bloom, GSA Office of Federal High Performance Green Buildings
- An introduction to the FEMP Operations and Maintenance Best Practices Guide - Dave Hunt, Pacific Northwest National Labs
- Building Retuning - Srinivas Katipamula, Pacific Northwest National Labs
- The Indoor Environmental Quality Roundtable - Judith Heerwagen, PhD, GSA Office of Federal High Performance Green Buildings