Window frames are one component of a window assembly. In naturally ventilated buildings window frames allow the window to be opened to bring in fresh air and closed tight to prevent intrusion. Wood window frames deliver exceptional thermal performance; however, they may require more maintenance.
- Use cleaning chemicals and solutions that are Green Seal certified
- Dust with micro fiber cloth regularly
- Use low VOC paints and coatings
End of Life Tips
- Usually reused by future occupants. If frame needs to be replaced, consider recycling any wood components.
- Visit Earth911.com to determine the proper disposal options.
For alignment with LEED Standards
Regional Materials: For credit achievement calculation, products sourced (extracted, manufactured, purchased) within 100 miles (160 km) of the project site are valued at 200% of their base contributing cost.
- BD+C and ID+C MR: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Sourcing of Raw Materials and Material Ingredients
- O+M MR: Purchasing - Facility Maintenance and Renovation
Certified Wood: Wood-based products and materials that are certified in accordance with the Forest Stewardship Council's principles and criteria contribute to a credit.
- BD+C and ID+C MR: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization - Sourcing of Raw Materials
- O+M MR: Purchasing - Ongoing
Energy: Comply with ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2010.
- BD+C EA: Minimum Energy Performance