Entrance Mats located at the main doors of the building, either on the exterior or interior, trap the contaminants from foot traffic. Dust, dirt and other pollutants are walked off at the building entrance, increasing the indoor air quality within the office building. Entryway systems can be an inset grill or grate, or it can be a roll-up mat. Consider installing at least 10 foot long entryway systems along the path of travel to effectively capture dust, dirt and other pollutants. Entrance Mats can be made with recycled content and low VOC materials.
- Vacuum daily
- As dictated by climate clean frequently. For example in snowy conditions use carpet cleaning machine weekly
- Use cleaning chemicals and solutions that are Green Seal certified
End of Life Tips
- If in good condition, entrance mats can be donated to organizations like Habitat for Humanity that will reuse them.
- To recycle contact the manufacturer or visit Earth911.com to determine the capacity of local facilities.
For alignment with LEED Standards
Regional Materials: For credit achievement calculation, products sourced (extracted, manufactured, purchased) within 100 miles (160 km) of the project site are valued at 200% of their base contributing cost.
- BD+C and ID+C MR: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Sourcing of Raw Materials and Material Ingredients
- O+M MR: Purchasing - Facility Maintenance and Renovation
Entryway Mats: Employ permanent entryway systems at least 10 feet long in the primary direction of travel to capture dust and particulates entering the building at all public entryways.
- BD+C, ID+C, and O+M EQ: Enhanced Indoor Air Quality Strategies