Metal options include steel and aluminum. Durability of items selected may be important depending on the application. Also treatment of the metal should be considered.
- Use cleaning chemicals and solutions that are Green Seal certified
- Dust with micro fiber cloth regularly
End of Life Tips
- If in good condition, furniture can be donated to organizations like Habitat for Humanity that will reuse them.
- To recycle old furniture contact the manufacturer or visit Earth911.com to determine the capacity of local facilities.
For alignment with LEED Standards
Regional Materials: For credit achievement calculation, products sourced (extracted, manufactured, purchased) within 100 miles (160 km) of the project site are valued at 200% of their base contributing cost.
- BD+C and ID+C MR: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Sourcing of Raw Materials and Material Ingredients
- O+M MR: Purchasing - Facility Maintenance and Renovation
Low-Emitting Furniture: New furniture and furnishings must be tested in accordance with ANSI/BIFMA M7.1-2011 and comply with ANSI/BIFMA e3-2011 Sections 7.6.1 or 7.6.2.
- ID+C EQ: Low-Emitting Materials
- O+M EQ: Purchasing - Facility Maintenance and Renovation