Department of Defense (DoD) Sustainable Product Purchasing
The Department’s vision of sustainability is to maintain the ability to operate into the future without decline either in the mission or in the natural and manufactured systems that support it. DoD embraces sustainability as a means of improving mission accomplishment.
The Department of Defense (DoD) established a sustainable product purchasing program to enhance and sustain mission readiness through cost effective acquisition that achieves compliance and reduces resource consumption and solid and hazardous waste generation. Sustainable product purchasing efforts span from transportation and energy to recycled and biobased content.
The Department serves as a leader in sustainable product purchasing through goals for compliance with Federal and DoD programs.
DoD Sustainable Product Purchasing Sites and Information
- Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment
- Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy
- Sustainable Procurement Program
- Sustainable Products Center
- Sustainable Product Demonstrations
DoD Sustainable Product Purchasing Plans, Guidance, and Policies
- DoD Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan
- Defense Acquisition Guidebook
- DoD Electronics Stewardship Implementation Plan
- DoD Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals Reduction Plan
- DoDI 4105.67 Nonappropriated Fund (NAF) Procurement Policy and Procedure, February 26, 2014
- DoDI 4105.72 Procurement of Sustainable Goods and Services, September 7, 2016
- Compliance with the DoD Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan, Sub Goal 6.1 - 95% of Procurements Conducted Sustainably, April 23, 2013
- Better Buying Power 2.0: Continuing the Pursuit for Greater Efficiency and Productivity in Defense Spending, November 13, 2012
- Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Reporting on Green Purchase Requirements, December 30, 2009
- PC Power Management and the Useful Life of Electronics Equipment, October 19, 2009
- Green Procurement Program (GPP) Strategy, December 2, 2008
Videos and Fact Sheets
- Defense Logistics Agency – Why Buy Green? (Video)
- Sustainable Product Center (Video)
- Sustainable Procurement Support for Military Installations
Federal requirements are important considerations when starting any sustainable project. Within SFTool, these include the Guiding Principles, Executive Orders, and other guidance or regulatory documents.
Sustainability and sustainable mean to create and maintain conditions, under which humans and nature can exist inproductive harmony, that permit fulfilling the social, economic,and other requirements of present and future generations.
Purchasing managers should create purchasing plans and programs that give preference to items containing recycled content, certified wood, and rapidly renewable materials, as well as items that are energy efficient, non-toxic, durable and locally manufactured, harvested and / or extracted. Further, purchasing managers should prioritize vendors who promote source reduction through reusable or minimal packaging of products.
Did You Know?
GSA has expanded our SFTool with a Product Search that streamlines sustainable product procurement for vendors and buyers. Visit SFTool Product Search
The Importance of Daylight
While many people prefer to be in spaces with abundant daylight, a critical question is to what extent the benefits of daylight matter to those who spend the majority of their time indoors, particularly in an office setting.
Share Your Story
Do you have a story to share? See and share examples of successes and struggles from our user community in Share