Products used for daily care and first aid. Products in this category may also apply to the acquisition of janitorial services.
References and Guidance
Federal agency customers are required to buy sustainable products such as energy efficient products and recycled content products, to the maximum extent practicable.
In accordance with FAR Part 23.103, Federal agencies shall advance sustainable acquisition by ensuring that 95 percent of new contract actions for the supply of products and for the acquisition of services (including construction) require that the products are:
- Energy-efficient (ENERGY STAR® or Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)-designated);
- Environmentally preferable (e.g., EPEAT®-registered, or non-toxic or less toxic alternatives);
- Non-ozone depleting; or
- Made with recovered materials.
Recommendations of Specifications, Standards, and Ecolabels for Federal Purchasing:
- Environmentally preferable products or services, including environmentally sustainable electronic products, that meet or exceed specifications, standards, or labels recommended by EPA through the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program (EPP);
- Water efficient products and services, including WaterSense® certified products and services;
- Safer Choice labeled products; and
- Freight delivery services from SmartWay® Transport partners.
Sustainable services also include construction and service contracts where sustainable products are delivered, furnished for Government use, or furnished for Contractor use at a federally controlled facility.
In accordance with FAR Part 23.103, Sustainable Acquisitions, service contracts must require the use or supply of sustainable products covered by certain Federal environmental programs, when applicable. Sustainable products include energy efficient, recycled content, water efficient, biobased, and other environmentally preferable products.
- You can determine the specific sustainable requirements that apply to your acquisition by clicking on the individual product categories on the Left Side of this page
- You can Learn more by visiting the Environmental Programs page
Before buying new products, be sure to consider excess personal property from other federal agencies. It's not just the mandatory first source of supply, it's sustainable! Visit GSAXcess® to search the federal government’s available excess personal property for transfer.
To promote fuel efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution, consider using a SmartWay Transport Partner for shipment of your products.