Products used in the construction of buildings, such as concrete, insulation, and roofing materials, as well as related products such as sealers and stains. Products in this category may also apply to the acquisition of construction services.
References and Guidance
ENERGY STAR suspended its standard for Programmable Thermostats but provides additional guidance on their website.
EPA recommendations for the recycled content of steel products start at 16%. Steel products now contain between 25% and 90% recycled content.
To promote fuel efficiency and reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution, consider using a SmartWay Transport Partner for shipment of your products.
FAR clause 52.223-2, Affirmative Procurement of Biobased Products Under Service and Construction Contracts, requires contractors to report annually "on the product types and dollar value of any USDA-designated biobased products purchased by the Contractor during the previous Government fiscal year." Reporting is done through the System for Award Management in the fall, following conclusion of a Federal fiscal year.
- E.O. 13834
- E.O. 13834 Implementation Resources
- EPA’s Recommendations of Specifications, Standards, and Ecolabels
- EPA's Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines
- EPA's Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) Program
- EPA's WaterSense
- High Performance and Sustainable Buildings Guidance
- The Federal Energy Management Program
- USDA's BioPreferred Designated Products
- Whole Building Design Guide