DownlightsLast Updated: 10/01/19
A small direct lighting unit that directs the light downward and can be recessed, surface mounted, or suspended.
Federal agencies are required by statute to purchase products as designated or specified under this program.
Federal agencies are required to purchase sustainable products and services meeting EPA’s Recommendations to the maximum extent practicable.
Where to Buy
Legal Requirements Lists federal requirements related to the purchase of this item, including applicable Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requirements
Life Cycle Cost Savings
Life Cycle Costing (LCC) aims to quantify the financial impact of a product over its entire life cycle to assist consumers in making decisions that will save them money over the long term.
For most applications, Energy Star-qualified lighting fixtures have the lowest life-cycle cost. An efficient product is cost effective when the energy costs saved over the life of the product exceed the additional upfront cost (if any) of the more efficient model. Energy Star considers both upfront costs and lifetime energy cost savings when setting required efficiency levels. Federal purchasers can assume that Energy Star-qualified products are life-cycle cost effective.
Contributes to meeting The Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings
The ENERGY STAR Luminaires Version 2.0 specification shall take effect on June 1, 2016. To certify a product for ENERGY STAR, the model shall meet the ENERGY STAR specification in effect on its date of manufacture. The date of manufacture is specific to each unit and is the exact date on which a unit is considered to be completely assembled.
Products included in the Energy Star V2.1 Specification:
- Luminaire types measured with luminaire photometry such as Inseparable SSL Luminaires.
- Directional Luminaires such as Accent Lights, Cove Mount and Under cabinet Lights, Downlights, Outdoor Lighting, and Portable Desk Task Lights.
- Luminaire types measured with source photometry non-directional luminaires such as Ventilation Fan Light Kits, Wrapped Lens, Wall Sconces & Retrofits, Decorative Pendants, and Ceiling Mount & Retrofits.
Potential LEED Contributions
This product may contribute* toward points in multiple LEED v4 rating systems, including areas required for LEED v4 building certification. Primarily, the credits will apply in the Building Design and Construction (BD+C) and Building Operations and Maintenance (O+M) categories. This includes the specialty areas of: New Construction and Major Renovation, Existing Buildings, Core & Shell, Schools, Retail, Data Centers, Warehouse and Distribution Centers, Hospitality, and Healthcare. Specific credits are:
- Energy & Atmosphere - Optimize Energy Performance
- Indoor Environmental Quality - Interior Lighting
- Sustainable Sites - Light Pollution Reduction
* It is important to note that no products, individually or collectively, can guarantee a specific number of points for LEED Category credit. Each credit will need to be matched to the product by a certified professional.