Recycling SupportReturn to Computer/LAN room
- Provide well labeled recycle, compost and trash containers in common areas.
- Educate occupants and janitorial staff to encourage participation and reduced contamination.
- Work with waste and recycling vendor to ensure compliance with current requirements.
- Consider replacing trash cans at each desk with single stream recycling bins to encourage occupant participation. Provide both trash and recycling bins in communal areas.
- If trash receptacles must remain at each desk use trash side-saddle trash containers on the recycle container as depicted in this rendering.
- Research your local composting options, often restroom trash can be composted.
- As equipment reaches its end of life ensure that it is properly diverted from the landfill. Computer equipment contains chemicals that are harmful to the environment if left to leach into soils.
Compare Recycling Support Options
Solid Waste Management ( <span>Guiding Principles criteria 5.6</span>)
“Reduce waste disposed of in landfills and incineration facilities by recovering, reusing, and recycling materials. Provide in building design, construction, renovation, and operation for the collection and storage of recyclable materials, including, as appropriate, compostable materials. Maintain a waste reduction and recycling program, and maximize waste diversion to the extent practicable. Pursue cost-effective waste minimization during the construction and renovation phase of the building, and maximize reuse or recycling of building materials, products, and supplies.”
EPA | Waste Management Hierarchy.
Whole Building Design Guide | Construction Waste Management
2018 IgCC Section 901